Thursday, October 7, 2010

Phase 1: Rachel's Summary

Going to Lota, Chile will be a necessary step to discovering the needs, wants, and desires of the Lotinas. Understanding the Lotina’s lives will be a crucial part for the recovery process to be a success. The design that is eventually conceived must come from the Lotina’s point of view, not that of an outsider. While there I plan to be open to any opportunity that may present it self. I will immerse myself in the Lota culture, and try to look at their situation in as many perspectives as possible.


I do not want to go in to Lota with any preconceived ideas, but it is important to have a reference frame, to view the situation. For this reason I will be keeping the idea of local art in mind while collecting research. I am interested in the current art scene, and the future desires of the local artist. Do the artists want a gallery? A market? A public space? Or nothing at all? I seek to have these questions answered during the research visit. During my visit to Lota I will talk to local artists such as, Eduardo Cartes Cardenas, a sculpture who uses coal as his medium. I am also interested in looking at plausible spaces that could be used as a point of interest for interaction between potential tourist and the artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment