Monday, January 31, 2011

Rahim Bhimani - Phase 3: Testing

Hi everyone, so there is close to 2 months left! Right now were currently going through the testing phase. To refresh you, I have slightly changed my focus.

Project Description:A toilet system designed to aid individuals trying to recover right after a natural disaster.This toilet system will be a flat-pack system that can easily be shipping following a disaster.The system includes a tent to create awareness of the system and for privacy.
User Scenario:
Following a natural disaster, as aid is being shipped out, these flat pack toilet kits will also be part of the aid/care package.
Criteria:
The idea of the toilet is to be simple enough for any user to easily put it together. Due language barriers, this product must be very intuitive for the user to simply put the together for use. The tent portion of this design is to create awareness and to allow individuals to know that the toilet is located at the specific location of the tent. The Red Cross and universal bathroom symbol will be also located on the tent. The cart is designed so that it can detaches form the toilet and can be easily disposed in a pit solves the issue with the waste.


So the first thing I did to begin my testing, was make a full scale model it turned out to be a lot bigger than I thought!



The massive thing you're looking at is the tent, which has 2 main functions, create privacy for individuals using the toilet and for creating awareness that this is a location for going to the b
athroom.



The second part of my design is the toilet!

I decided to go away from the idea of a composting toilet becuase of the complexity of the use of a composting toilet and the fact that individuals would probably not want to compost their waste following a natural disaster.




This is a rough idea of the concept I am trying to figure out and develop. The toilet stays put, and the idea is to pull the cart away from the toilet which will make discarding the waste a lot easier.






The is an idea of how the system would work.



The back of the tent will have a flap, which will make it easy to pull the cart out and dispose the waste.




TESTING:

I have decided to narrow my testing to 5 main test to help me develop my project:

Test 1: Structure/Material: Toilet Strength

Test 2: Folding Mechanism

Test 3: Ease of User

Test 4: Tent Entrance

Test 5: Appearance of the Tent


My main goals for this phase:


1.Finalize what to do with the waste.

2.Figure out a form/design of the toilet


and I am sure I will think of many more as my testing continues.


Thanks for reading:)

No comments:

Post a Comment